The Troyan Monastery is the third largest Stavropigial monastery in Bulgaria. It is located 10 km from the town of Troyan, near the village of Oreshak, at the foot of the Troyan Balkan. In the 18th century, a monastery school was functioning in the monastery, where prominent clergymen were educated. In the 19th century, monks continued their spiritual and enlightenment activities. The monastery was a haven for both haidut and revolutionaries. Here in 1872, Levski established a secret revolutionary monastic committee.
Nowadays, the Troyan Monastery is a complex of a main church, residential and farm buildings, two Scythians and is an attractive place for tourists and pilgrims.